Text Box:

Copyright  2012-2016   ARALB   All rights reserved.

 

Webmaster:  ae7qu@hamradiowebsites.net

The RMS Queen Mary

Long Beach, California

 

The Royal Mail Ship Queen Mary had a long and illustrious career. Her early years began with her maiden voyage on May 27, 1936, as the prize of the Cunard Line. She carried one thousand seven hundred forty two passengers (seven hundred eight in First Class; six hundred thirty one in Second Class; four hundred three in Third Class); a crew of eleven hundred eighty six men and women; one hundred reporters; six thousand one hundred twenty four sacks of mail, and during her maiden voyage, the BBC installed a number of microphones aboard ship to broadcast the event around the world. In addition, three telephone operators were in place to handle the six hundred telephone receivers which were locate in the First Class cabins, as well as on the ship's decks. The passengers had the novelty of being able to ring each other on board, as well as calling home while at sea.

 

The Queen Mary is not the first ship to be haunted, and it certainly won't be the last. A ship that has traveled so long and so far, and has carried so many people to so many places, has countless memories stored within the rooms and corridors of its massive metal framework. There are cold spots, phantom gusts of wind, objects moving or disappearing and unexplainable electrical problems. One can hear the clanking of chains, oil drums banging and footsteps echoing in the darkness. Some people hear glasses clink and laughter ring out in the dead of the night, perhaps as part of a continuing party from a bygone era.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The submarine seen next to The Queen Mary is a Russian Scorpion Foxtrot class submarine built  in 1972. It’s length is 299' 6", beam 24' 7" and a draft 20'. Displacement was 1952 tons surfaced. Speed was sixteen knots, with a complement fifty six sailors, ten midshipmen and twelve officers. In 1989 the Scorpion was returning to Vladivostok from Vietnam when it ran into a typhoon.  A mechanical breakdown, which could not be fixed in time, prevented the sub from diving. The storm battered  the  boat mercilessly, destroying the light hull and damaging the ballast tanks  and high pressure air bottles.  It limped back to Vladivostok where it was repaired and refitted with a new light hull.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At the stern, (the rear of the vessel), you can see

the Carnival Cruise Line new dock.

The terminal is the dome in the upper right.

 

The white box in roughly the center of the picture

is the Wireless Room, ARALB / W6RO

The ramp at the bow (the front of the vessel) is

the Ghost and Legions entrance.

The second ramp is the Queen Mary Hotel Entrance.

 

Entrance to the Wireless Room and Radio Room

The open deck area was the ships Tennis Court .

In the back ground on the left is the new

Carnival Cruise Line Parting Structure.

Between the two stacks, or funnels, is the

curved roof of the Grand Ball Room.

The antenna between the stacks are the ships Marconi
antenna's not used now. They have a 40 meter dipole and
a DKN 10-80 meter attached, that we use now.